Samuel N. Cox Memorial Book Scholarship
This scholarship awards an eligible full time student who is already enrolled at Virginia State University with a book scholarship in the amount of $500.00. The scholarship is funded with proceeds from the Chapter's fundraisers, membership dues, and individual donations. This scholarship is managed by the Chapter and is awarded to a high school senior from the Washington, DC metropolitan area who will enroll at Virginia State University during the fall or spring semester.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Must complete the scholarship application
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale
- Must be a resident of Washington, DC or one of the Maryland Counties of Prince George's or Montgomery Counties
- Must submit a Virginia State University transcript to verify GPA
- Must submit a recent photograph
- Must submit two letters of recommendation from a professor, coach, dean /or advisor
- Must write a 750-word essay about yourself and your experiences at Virginia State University.
- The Washington, DC Chapter Scholarship Committee has final authority regarding scholarship awards. The Scholarship Committee may authorize or withdraw scholarships at any time.
- Scholarship funds will be applied to an account for you to use for the purchase of books and supplies in the VSU Bookstore at the start of the semester. Recipients will receive an award letter at their vsu.edu email address listing requirements necessary to accept the scholarship and to receive the scholarship funds. A thank-you letter must be sumbitted before the award is granted. Failure to do so by the given due date will result in cancellation of the scholarship, which will be awarded to another applicant.
- This scholarship is not available for summer semester.
- Students may receive only one book scholarship per academic year.
Renewing This Scholarship
This scholarship is 'renewable.'
March 31, 2017 (Application must be received by this date)
Release of Information
In applying for, and accepting, a scholarship from the VSUAA-Washington, DC Chapter each recipient agrees that his/her grade-point average and other pertinent information may be released for publicity purposes or correspondence. When accepting this scholarship, the recipient's photograph will be used to market our scholarship program.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to respond to notification of scholarship acceptance and/or any other correspondence from the Scholarship Committee. Failure to complete award requirements will result in loss of scholarship and/or repayment of funds, if applicable.
Questions? Contact Us