Generva P. White Memorial Book Scholarship
The Generva P. White Memorial book scholarship was established by the Washington, DC Chapter in 2013 to honor the memory of Generva P. White, VSU Class of 1948. A chapter stalwart and loyal daugther of VSU, Generva served the chapter faithly for 38 years and was a life-time member of the VSU Alumni Association.
This scholarship awards an eligible high school senior who plans to enroll at Virginia State University with a book scholarship in the amount of $500.00. The scholarship is funded with proceeds from the Chapter's fundraisers, membership dues, and individual donations. This scholarship is managed by the Chapter and is awarded to a high school senior from the Washington, DC metropolitan area who will enroll at Virginia State University during the fall or spring semester.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Must complete the scholarship application
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Must be a resident of Washington, DC or one of the Maryland Counties of Prince George's or Montgomery Counties
- Must submit the acceptance letter for admission to VSU
- Must submit a high school transcript
- Must submit a recent photograph
- Must submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher, coach, and/or counselor
- Must write a 500-word essay about yourself and why you want to attend VSU
- The Washington, DC Chapter Scholarship Committee has final authority regarding scholarship awards. The Scholarship Committee may authorize or withdraw scholarships at any time.
- Scholarship funds will be applied to an account for you to use for the purchase of books and supplies in the VSU Bookstore at the start of the semester. Recipients will receive an award letter via email or by mail listing requirements necessary to accept the scholarship and to receive the scholarship funds. A thank-you letter must be sumbitted before the award is granted. Failure to do so by the given due date will result in cancellation of the scholarship, which will be awarded to another applicant.
- This scholarship is not available for summer semester.
- Students may receive only one book scholarship per academic year.
Renewing This Scholarship
This scholarship is not 'renewable.'
March 31, 2017 (Application must be received by this date)
Release of Information
In applying for, and accepting, a scholarship from the VSUAA-Washington, DC Chapter each recipient agrees that his/her grade-point average and other pertinent information may be released for publicity purposes or correspondence. When accepting this scholarship, the recipient's photograph will be used to market our scholarship program.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to respond to notification of scholarship acceptance and/or any other correspondence from the Scholarship Committee. Failure to complete award requirements will result in loss of scholarship and/or repayment of funds, if applicable.
Questions? Contact Us